British GT: Spa Race Two


Team Parker Racing’s Ian Loggie and Callum Macleod got the monkey off their back by claiming their maiden win in the British GT GT3 class aboard their Bentley during race two of the weekend at Spa-Francorchamps.

In the GT4 class it was Ebor GT’s Charlie Fagg and Matthew Graham that stole the secod class win of the day after winning both races from the back of the grid.

Barwell Motorsport’s Jon Minshaw was on course to win before contact with a GT4 competitor saw him spin out from the lead, allowing Team WRT’s Alain Ferte and Stuart Leonard to take advantage, moving into second.

The Audi duo took the flag just 0.3 seconds behind the Team Parker Bentley. Macmillan AMR’s Jack Mitchell and James Littlejohn completed the rostrum, running 11.8 seconds behind the second placed crew.

HHC Motorsport’s Will Tregurtha and Stuart Middleton went one better than race one after passing Tolman Motorsport’s David Pattison on the final lap to take second in GT4.

After winning the first race of the day, Minshaw and Keen had to serve a ten second pit stop success penalty during the second race. After surviving the opening lap madness, Keen set about converting pole position into a big enough lead to not let the success penalty ruin their race.

He began pulling clear aboard the Lamborghini. Carlo van Dam jumped from fourth to second was fighting off Callum Macleod, Patrick Kujala, Jonny Adam and Seb Morris to hold on to second place.

Team WRT’s Stuart Leonard was put back six places on the grid due to a race one incident but managed to take advantage from contact occuring at Les Combes between’s Ryan Ratcliffe and Team ABBA with Rollcentre Racing’s Adam Christodoulou. The contact also involved Sam Tordoff – who then went on to retire due to damage sustained.

After Keen got an amazing start, Minshaw held the lead after the pit stops despite remaining stationary for ten seconds after winning race one. The Bentley now in the hands of Ian Loggie was on a charge, slicing the gap from 4.4 seconds to 0.9 seconds when the Lambo spun trying to avoid a GT4 car.

Team WRT’s Alain Ferte moved into contention following the pit stops as he gained an advantage when Rick Parfitt Jnr had to serve a drive through penalty for track limit violations.

Fourth would have gone to Kessel Racing’s Van Dam and co-driver Piti Bhirombhakdi but the duo had thirty seconds added on to their race time at the flag due to receiving a drive through penalty for a short pit stop. This played into the hands of Macmillan AMR’s silver pairing – Littlejohn and Mitchell came through the field from eleventh to take third.

TF Sport’s Mark Farmer and Jon Barnes finished the race in fourth ahead of Kornely Motorsport’s Kenneth Heyer and Patrick Assenheimer in fifth.┬áReigning champions Jonny Adam and Derek Johnston finished the race in sixth place aboard their TF Sport Aston Martin after Johnston spun whilst trying to pass Bhirombhakdi’s Ferrari.

Team Parker Racing’s Morris and Parfitt Jnr finished the race in seventh after their penalty was made worse, spinning to avoid Minshaw’s stationary Lamborghini. Kessel Racing’s duo finished in eighth place. Minshaw came through to finish in ninth ahead of’s Lee Mowle in tenth.

Although they endured some tough luck during race two Minshaw and Keen still increased their championship lead to twelve points over the #31 Bentley driven by Parfitt Jnr and Morris.

Morris won the Sunoco Fastest Lap Award and set a new British GT GT3 benchmark lap time with his best effort in race one; 2:18.821. Team Parker Racing’s Ian Loggie earned himself the Blacpain Gentleman Driver of the Weekend Trophy.

In GT4 Ebor GT’s Matthew Graham and Charlie Fagg charged through the field from last to take back-to-back victories. Graham picked his way through the field aboard the Maserati GranTurismo MC to lead the race by the end of his stint.

Graham and Fagg had to remain in the pits for twenty four extra seconds – fourteen for being a silver cup pairing and another ten for the race one win.

Tolman Motorsport’s Osborne drove majestically during which gave his co-driver Pattison a chance to stay ahead of the silver cup entries after the pit stops. Academy Motorsport’s Will Moore passed the McLaren before being given a stop and go penalty for failing to serve the minimum pit stop time.

Charlie Fagg was next to pass the McLaren and on the final lap Will Tregurtha found his way past to secure a second place finish. Pattison and Osborne achieved an overall podium in third place. Reigning GT4 champions Graham Johnson and Mike Robinson drove the wheels off of their Optimum Motorsport McLaren to claim fourth.

Macmillan AMR’s Jan Jonck started in second but dropped down to sixth during the opening stint before William Phillips managed to bring their Aston Martin home to claim fifth place. Lanan Racing’s Alex Reed and David Pittard were another contender before the pit stops on their way to claiming a sixth place finish.

Academy Motorsport’s drive through penalty dropped the duo to seventh in the final classification. In2Racing’s Marcus Hoggarth and Jesse Anttila were running in second early on before slipping to eighth by the time the chequered flag came out. Their team-mates Jaques Duyver and Charlie Hollings finished behind in ninth ahead of UltraTek/RJN’s Richard Taffinder and Martin Plowman in tenth.

Due to Graham and Fagg entering as a race-by-race entry meant they didn’t score any points, meaning the twenty-five points go to Tregurtha and Middleton – helping them jump from third to first in the GT4 championship standings.

Graham got the Sunoco Fastest Lap Award and a new GT4 lap record – 2:31.706. Track-club earned the PMW Expo Team of the Weekend award after spending Friday night and Saturday morning repairing the McLaren’s blown turbo in time for the opening race.

The British GT championship will next be on track at Brands Hatch for the penultimate round of the season on the 5th and 6th of August.